Sunday, September 10, 2006

Am I a Nerd?

The geocaching thing...I didn't win anything. We signed our name in the log with the date and time. That was all. It was a fun hour spent walking, spending time with the family outside and searching for something...Not sure exactly what we are looking for is half the fun. I read once the best family time is spent outside so this was a good way to spend time, in nature doing something together. Am I a nerd? If you want to call me a nerd, that is okay, because I enjoyed doing it. Also, we are setting up our own hunt too and eventually I want to do a travel bug.

What is a Travel Bug?

Simply put, a Travel Bug is a trackable tag that you attach to an item. This allows you to track your item on Geocaching.com. The item becomes a hitchhiker that is carried from cache to cache (or person to person) in the real world and you can follow its progress online.

What does a Travel Bug do?

It's really up to the owner of the bug to give it whatever task they desire. Or no task at all. The fun of a travel bug is inventing new goals for the Travel Bug to achieve. One Bug's goal may be to reach a specific country, or travel to 10 countries.

How do Travel Bugs work?

Each Travel Bug has its own unique tracking number stamped on it. This tracking number is used as proof by the user that they found the item. It also doubles as a way for the user to locate the personal web page for the travel bug.

Travel Bugs are tracked with the help of users who go online and "grab" them from caches, or receive them from users. The idea is by picking up and dropping off Travel Bugs on the web site you are mirroring the Bug's real world adventures. Each Travel Bug has its own "diary" that follows its movements.

I can't wait to start one!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Uh....don't get any ideas about putting a travel bug in my stampin supplies, no matter who finds it, you don't get to keep my stuff. (Maybe I am paranoid?) I'll have to search you thoroughly before you come in the house next time.