Monday, January 08, 2007

I don't remember exactly.....

Tonight I was trying to remember anything about when I was put under for surgery. I realize there is a reason for not remembering but it is still very strange to me that no matter how hard I try, I can't remember a darn thing! I remember being on the operating table, having the surgery team cover me with warm blankets, having the doctor tell me he was going to start and then the only thing I can remember, which still haunts me is waking up, choking for breathe seeing 7 people around me. Having the oxygen mask on and me straining to know where I was. I keep thinking, where am I? Why am I choking? Where am I? Why can't I breathe....I was hearing the people around me talk to me telling me to breathe. I have no idea how long I was asleep for. I have no idea how I got out of the operating room and into the recovery room. I have no idea what happened during the surgery. I just can't remember. It makes me really think about those people who have lost their memory. How sad and lost they must be. Could you imagine if your entire life was lost? You just woke up one day and didn't know who you were. I had a cousin who was in a serious car accident when she was in high school. I remember my mother telling me after months, or maybe even years later my cousin told her that she didn't remember anyone or anything. The people in her life she didn't remember and only knew them as her parents and family because they told her they were. No memories. No emotional ties. She had nothing. I just can't imagine not knowing or remembering those important people. So I guess not remembering what when on for a few hours in one day is nothing to fret about. I am lucky to remember that!

No comments: