Wednesday, October 11, 2006

taxes

I have a problem with our tax accountant. This is a person, who the owner has used for many years and I have had a problem with him for many years. Ever since I took over doing the books, there has always been a communication problem between us. I would think differently about myself if I had communication problems with everyone but I don’t think I do. If I don’t think I understand something at work, I ask. I am not afraid of asking.

The accountant files all the tax returns and reviews our books. I have never filed any tax returns. I have, however, made deposits for the taxes to be paid. I got a notice from the IRS stating the quarterly tax form wasn’t sent in. When I sent it to our accountant I was told “Haven’t you been doing that?” “Did I forget to tell you to do that?” Well, since I HAVE NEVER FILED TAX FROMS TO THE IRS before WHY would you think I would start? I would HAVE done it if I knew I needed to. Guess what, there is a 10% penalty per day. Nothing has been filed since January 2006. Take thousands of dollars a month times 10%.

I just don’t know what the heck to do now. I just know this is going to be my entire fault some how. I just know it will be. Just wait…I will tell you about it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When you have to talk to the IRS about a problem, tell them the mistake, plead ignorance as it was not your fault and kindly ask for a reduced penalty. They are known to like niceness, and honesty and can arbitrarily (it seems) grant lenience. If your particular IRS person doesn't grant a lenience of penalty, keep talking to others at the IRS till someone does.

Anonymous said...

Nice! I guess I'll just fall in the toilet then.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! I had a fabulous birthday, mostly because I had dinner with friends and got some really good gifts and one "Hot Damn! Great Holy Moly How Did You Get Your Hands On That?!" gift. Wooo Hooo You certainly know how to make me happy. Keep it up, Christmas is coming!