Monday, February 06, 2006

Expensive Babysitting Job


My next task is to hold employees accountable for what they are responsible for. As I have staff going through the desk of fired employee, it has been found she didn't do what she was supposed to be doing. Now I ask, and I need some input... How can I make sure employees are doing what they are supposed to be doing without actually babysitting them?....Without looking over their shoulder all the time. The fact of the matter is, I don't have time to do that and my work load too. So I could give up some work of my own to babysit but I would become a very expensive babysitter. I am clueless as to what to do and how to handle.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I worked for the State we had "Weekly Review" meeting with the boss. We reviewed all the work assigned to us and reported our progress, or lack thereof. Boss did this for all 7 of us because 2 or 3 weren't really working very hard.

My husband's company has a person called Project manager. She does about the same and she does a lot of client contact, to see that computer geeks and clients are both holding up their end of the deal, providing content for web sites, etc.

Hmmm...I think whatever you call it, babysitting is a fitting term.

dcaple said...

Love the cartoon! I think Beth is right. Some kind of log. More often than not, an employee will work harder knowing they have to turn in a log each day. Keeps them on the path to being productive.
At the end of the day, they can also total up how many orders they entered by doing a "Find" based on the current date, and Created By in Oracle.

I may be gone, but I will be there for you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my! Eight days have gone by already and I know you are alive and well. update already! I know you've done something, crafted, eaten, worked. Update something already before I bust!